Martin Wintersparv Stervander
Born 12 May 1980, Swedish citizen
- 2017–2019: Postdoc with Bill Cresko, Institute of Ecology and Evolution, University of Oregon (USA), in a project on craniofacial development and evolution in syngnathid fish.
- 2016 Sep–Dec: Postdoc with Jonas Waldenström, Zoonotic Ecology and Epidemiology, Linnaeus University (Sweden), in a project on the characterization of immune genes in birds.
- 2016 Aug: Research assistant in projects on barley and Öland sun rose with Mats Hansson, Dept of Biology, Lund University (Sweden)
- 2010–2015: PhD in biology, Molecular Ecology and Evolution Lab, Dept of Biology, Lund University (Sweden). PhD project entitled “Genetics of speciation in birds” with main supervisors Bengt Hansson and Staffan Bensch. Defended my thesis, entitled “On Speciation in Birds – Genomic Signatures across Space and Time”, on 18 December 2015, with faculty opponent Professor Trevor Price.
- 2011–2013: Participant in the research school of genomic ecology, Geneco.
- 2010: MSc in Molecular Ecology, Lund University, including courses at University of Queensland (Australia), and Örebro University (Sweden). MSc thesis “Tracking genetic divergence in Gulf of Guinea finches – strong support for sympatric speciation”.
Teaching and supervision
I have been teaching courses in Molecular Ecology and Evolution, Ornithology, Computer skills, and Biostatistics at Lund University and at A.P. Leventis Ornithological Research Institute in Jos (Nigeria), with additional occcasional lectures or practicals in various courses at Uppsala/Mälardalen/Örebro universities (Sweden).
I have co-supervised six MSc students and three BSc students at Lund University.
16 publications rendering 850+ citations, h-index 10. For further information, see the Publications page.
Funding awarded from the Swedish Research Council (International Postdoc Grant in 2016, of SEK 3.15 million). Smaller grants, at a total of SEK 80 thousand, received from the Swedish Royal Physiographic Society (2010, 2011, 2014), BirdLife Sweden (2012), the Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences (2015), ‘Heinrich Polls genetiska stipendium’ (2016), and ‘Landshövding Per Westlings Minnesfond’ (2016).
Journal manuscript referee for Molecular Ecology, Evolutionary Applications, Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution, Journal of Avian Biology, Ibis, Zoology, Bird Conservation International, Ornis Svecica, and Ornis Fennica.
Grant application reviewer for the Icelandic Research Fund (2017).
Other relevant positions and projects
- 2006, 2007: Test fisherman for the Swedish Board of Fisheries.
- 2002–2003: Acting warden and warden at Ottenby Bird Observatory.
- 1999–2002: Field assistant in the Great Reed Warbler breeding ecology project, Lund University.
- 1995–2002: Bird ringer at numerous bird observatories in Europe, Africa, and Asia.
Other merits and distinctions
- I have been an elected representative in numerous bodies within Lund University, at department, faculty and university level. For example, I have been a member of the university council, the committees for third-cycle study programs (department, faculty, and university level), the presiding commmittee and management council of the Faculty of Science, and the board for the Department of Biology.
- I have extensive background from 16 boards and committees at national, regional, and local level; presently secretary for the Ottenby Bird Observatory board. Organizer/leader of several courses, field trips (Sweden, Norway) and exchange programs (Morocco).
- Field work experience from Sweden, Norway, Finland, Estonia, Lavia, Lithuania, Poland, Kazakhstan, Nigeria, São Tomé & Príncipe, and Tristan da Cunha.
- Awarded Best oral presentation at the 16th Annual Meeting of PhD Students in Evolutionary Biology, Poland, 2010.
- Conferred the distinction “Birder of the year” by BirdLife Sweden in 1999.
This was the short version… Contact me should you be interested in a more detailed one!